What are parabens?
- Most widely used preservatives in cosmetic products.
- Chemically, parabens are esters of p-hydroxybenzoic acid.
- Can be found naturally in blueberries.
Why are preservatives used in cosmetics?
- To protect them against microbial growth, both to protect consumers and to maintain product integrity.
- To extend the shelf life of just about every packaged beauty product.
What kinds of products contain parabens?
- Parabens are used in a wide variety of cosmetics, as well as foods and drugs.
- Cosmetics that may contain parabens include deodorants, antiperspirants, makeup, moisturizers, toothpaste, hair care products, and shaving products, among others.
What are some of the retail names for parabens?
- Parabens are usually easy to identify by name – just look for a ‘paraben’ attached at the back. Eg. methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, benzylparaben, ethylparaben or isobutylparaben.
Why are parabens controversial?
- It started with a study done back in a 2004 (released by Dr. Darbre…
View original post 686 more words